Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Host of Angels


Ric, holding a bag full of meals from God's Love We Deliver



As I posted a couple of weeks ago, I am running in the Race to Deliver in Central Park on November 22nd to raise money for God's Love We Deliver (GLWD), an organization that provides not only nutritious and life sustaining food for those who are terminally ill and home-bound, but has never turned away a person in need. Also, the food is delicious. You should see the food these people turn out. Ric is one of those people that receives such food.

Well, it turns out that many have responded to sponsor me in the race by donating. In fact, I am honored that each and every person that has so generously given of their hard-earned money has done so to help me achieve my goal of $2500.00. They are all angels.

But there are two angels that I wanted to address today. Two long time friends of my family donated the full $2500.00. They did so without hesitation and without question. In fact, on the honor roll of my race page, they elected to omit how much money they donated when in fact they donated the entire amount I set for myself to raise. They are angels for which there are no words. I would put their names here but have not asked their permission to do so, so I will just take this time to thank them. They are special people who have done so much for so many without taking any credit.

At this point, I am the number one fundraiser for the race, beating out both individuals as well as teams. And I am looking to maintain my lead. Though this race is not a competition to see who can raise the most money, I would love nothing more than to have the satisfaction of raising the most money of any individual (I am realistic after all. I know teams such as the MTV team and the Love Team will blow me out of the water as collective groups) running in the race (I will be walking by the way. I can't run my life, much less a race).

As an incentive to donate (no amount is too small...or too high), I have decided to shave all my beloved hair on my head if I reach the $5000.00 mark. And I will record the shaving for all to see here on this blog. Anyone who knows me knows that my hair is pretty special to me and the possibility of shaving it is a bit overwhelming, but the need to feed those in need is astonishingly overwhelming. I will also think of something else dramatic to do as well if the $5000.00 mark is reached. As soon as I figure it out I will let you know.

So, see that badge at the top right column (if you are reading this a few days after 8/02/09, the badge is at the top right column)? It takes you to my donation page where you can either safely donate online or download a form and mail in your donation. But please donate.

As a reference for what GLWD is, if you watched this year's Celebrity Apprentice, Joan Rivers' winnings went to GLWD

No comments:

Site Meter