Monday, October 20, 2008

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich with Fleur de Sel

This post is cross-posted at my baking website, BakeItTilYouMakeIt.com

I discovered something today that just may change my life forever. A few weeks ago I went and bought some Fleur de Sel for a cake. You may remember, the cake turned out disastrous.

I kept trying to figure out what to do with the Fleur de Sel since I knew I would never make the cake again. I could not throw it away since I practically had to take out a loan to buy it in the first place.

Well, I have found a few uses that I like quite a bit. I enjoy it on fries and steak and it really goes good on ice-cream. But how did it change my life?

Let me tell you!

First, do not go out and buy it just for what I am about to tell you. Actually, who the hell am I kidding?
Go now and buy it!

Unless, of course, you have some sitting around. And if you do, you’re one rich mofo and I want to be your friend.

But moving on.

Fleur de Sel changes the classic peanut butter and jelly sandwich FOREVER. This is what I do:
Fleurdeselpbj
Fleurdeselpbj2

1. Prepare your PB&J as you normally would, using your favorite jelly or jam and peanut butter (Jif for those in the know). I prefer my bread toasted.
2. LIGHTLY (and I do not use that word lightly) sprinkle the peanut butter side of the sandwich with the Fleur de Sel. I mean lightly, people!
6. Put the two pieces of bread together.
7. Cut your sandwich in two
8. Eat and enter a new dimension reserved for those lucky enough to try this creation.

Now to all the chefs and food pop culturati, you better give me credit when you start putting this on your menu! I’m not joking. I want the credit, Toque-ers! I don’t want to be watching The Today Show or Rachael Ray about how the latest trend is putting a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich on the menu. And then see how Jean-Georges is taking all the credit. It’s mine!

I know how all you celebrity-chefs operate. One person puts it on their menu and everyone follows suit. It happened with sliders and The Little Owl. After sliders showed up on the menu at The Little Owl, everyone had sliders on their menus.

It happened with the mac-and-cheese revolution of 2001. Every snotty restaurant across the land had mac-and-cheese on their menus for a while.

All I’m sayin’ is that if you put a fleur-de-sel PB&J on your menu, you give me credit.

Thank you.

PS. A word to the wise. Don’t go trying this with Kosher salt or table-salt. It won’t work. It might work with other sea-salts but I have not tried.

No comments:

Site Meter